Monday, October 22, 2007

Ellery cracks me up!

Like I said last post (which, yes, was about a half hour ago), Ellery's not feeling so great. Well, we go up to say goodnight to the girls (like we do every night before we go to bed) and Ellery is burning up and coughing! Fever had subsided since Saturday. So I go get the thermometer, ibuprofen and vicks. The vicks is for a new trick I read (thanks, mom) about coating the cougher's feet with vicks (then cover with socks) and that's supposed to stop all coughing....thought we'd give it a try. So, I unearth her from all the blankets (she's been out cold for a couple of hours), pull out her feet, rub 'em down with vicks (she's still asleep), Joe throws her socks on, I stick the thermometer in each of her ears (she's vaguely rousing), then squirt the medicine down her throat. She rolls over, puts her thumb back in her mouth and is out. We go downstairs hop in bed, chat for a bit, I start to feed Grady when I hear a scratching on a wall in the living room. I look towards our door, and see this pink arm...Ellery turns into our room in jammies, the socks, and her cowgirl hat. Thus begins the monologue....Where's Molly?...Smokee's in my bed, mom...Dad, come get Smokee out of my bed...Smokee's in my bed...(I butt in asking if she wants me to take her back upstairs)....yes, but don't carry me, just hold my hand...oh, its Grady...I want to see Grady...where's the one, mom?...where is the one?...the clock...where is the one on the clock...(running across the room to the bathroom)...oh, its on the clock...i found the one on the clock mom...(I'm thinking, wow that medicine sure kicked in quickly)...just like an airplane...in the sky...(running across the room into the bathroom and back a few times)...just like this...(again with the running)...but in the sky...I'm thirsty, dad...I want my water...I want my milk... At this point, Joe asks me what I gave her, was it speed??? So I hop up and walk out into the kitchen to grab her milk, then turn for the stairs to hold her hand and walk her up and she says, "carry me, mom." She drinks the milk on the walk up, hops into bed and falls right back to sleep.

No comments: