Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Who wants to go to the ER...with all 3 kids?

Short version: Molly has stitches...again.

Long version: The girls were both dressed up in their ballerina costumes (see prior post) and happily spinning and dancing away to the music. I was talking on the phone (Jessica, if you read this...this is why I hung up so suddenly!), when all of the sudden both girls started crying, well, screaming really, the scream-cry that as a mom, without even seeing them, you know its bad. Yup, around the corner comes Molly with her hands up to her face, with blood dripping between her fingers. Ellery was holding her head. Without even asking, I already knew what had happened. (Sidebar: later I came to find out they didn't exactly "spin" into each other as I originally thought, it was more like they were running at each other.) So...I grabbed the first kitchen towel I could find to mop up the mess on Molly's face and find out how bad it actually was. Then I went for the ice pack and the phone, dialed Joe and told him to meet me at the ER because I was taking Molly in. I had to find clothes for the girls (it's 20 degrees out), jackets, get Grady in his seat, put my shoes on, find my purse and keys, get the kids all buckled in...all in about 34 seconds. Well, on the way to the ER, I realized I hadn't exactly told Joe what happened, only that we were going, so I called him again to tell him what happened. (Through the phone I could hear him running to his car, which is parked about a half mile from his office.) Well, we all arrive at the ER, check in and wait, and wait, and wait...finally get called back, then wait, and wait, and wait some more. The doc comes in, takes a good look at her and a few minute later they strap Molly to a "papoose" board (he called it a surrogate mom) and started the stitching. She did fantastic. Not a tear, not a complaint, nothing...she was a total trooper. We are so proud of how brave she was. So, now her beautiful little face will have two scars...one on her forehead and one above her lip....which happens to match the one I have on my lip. Hey...must run in the family!

No comments: