Thursday, January 29, 2009

What is in your hair???

I've heard that part of parenthood is retrieving items out of your toddler's body. Apparently, kids like to stuff things in their ears and noses. We've made it almost 6 years incident free...until the other night. No ER runs (surprised?), no tweezers or pliers involved, more so just a "huh?" You did what?

Sweet, sweet, Ellery.

So, we wake up the other morning and the hair on one side of her head is wet. I'm thinking...gosh, I know she went to bed with wet hair, but it's not dry yet? Maybe she just sweated...a lot... last night!?!? Anyway, as I go to brush her hair, I notice that its looking a bit greasy, not wet. So I ask "hon? What is in your hair?" She nonchalantly tells me that her ear was dry and she put some lotion on it. "You did what" I ask, assuming I heard her incorrectly? Nope...I heard right. Dry ear...lotion...you know...the usual. Late, after a good shampoo and a nap, I realize that whatever she put in her ear, is still there. Greasy hair again. Oh well, I think, I probably didn't get it all out with the baby shampoo; next bath, I'll use mine. Next bath comes and goes and when her hair dries and she sleeps...more grease. OK...so what's really in her ear? After talking about it with her again, it turns out that she used a Q-tip and Vaseline. (Yes, we had the Q-tip talk, right after I put them out of reach...but that's another post.) Apparently, she remembers me using Q-tips with the Vaseline. When we were all sick, the kids had such dry lips, that I would put a little on before bed, using a Q-tip so as to not spread germs. Also, you clean ears out with Q-tips, right? So...dry ears, Vaseline, Q-tips. Nuff said.
Oh...and hear hair is still greasy. Vaseline does not come out very easily. Any tips???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When my niece had lice last year the doc told my sister to poor olive oil in her hair and leave it on all night and then to use herbal essances shampoo to get it out the next morning apparently it cuts the grease so maybe you should try some of that or even a few applications of dish soap if that doesn't work.... Let me know how it works,I am sure I will be there someday and by the way Brayden stuck a bead up his nose at Christmas time but thanks to his huge nostrils he was able to blow it out! I feel your pain

Anonymous said...

So I know this is very late but you can use it for future reference. The best thing to cut grease out of hair is Dawn dishwashing liquid. I know this because Elaina dumped an entire bottle of Chi silk infusion on her head and after 5 washings we still hadn't made a dent in it. I remembered using Dawn on the dog once to get ash out of her white fur (she liked to play in the fireplace as a puppy). One shampoo with dawn and hair was as good as new!