Saturday, September 12, 2009

One thing I've learned about having kids...

Don't ever open your mouth and talk about something they've done or haven't done. Let me explain. The other day I was chatting with a friend and scissors were involved (usually with me, some sort of craft is! :) Anyway...we got to talking about scissors and hair and our kids. You know where this is going. I mention (kinda of questioningly) that my kids have yet to attempt self haircuts. See...that was my mistake. Had I kept my mouth shut and never said anything, I'm sure I would not be making this post. But no...I had to go and open my big mouth.

I walk into my bathroom last night to start the bath for the kids. I looked down and what do I see? Hair. Long strands of curly blonde hair. Luckily the girls were right behind me so I didn't have to scream loud enough to wake the whole city...just the neighborhood. And then I notice one child is no longer behind me. Ellery. The child whose hair is an uncanny match to what is lying on the ground.

For the first time in my life, I did not run for the camera. Usually in any situation involving my children, I grab the camera first...then help! Not this time. I wasn't sure if I was upset, sad, angry, but man...she was scared. Especially since I told her I would have to cut her hair to "fix" it. (Just between you and me...she was going to get a haircut anyway to trim off the green ends for the swimming pool...but I didn't tell her that and let her suffer a bit.) All through the bath, she was wailing "I don't want you to cut my hair. I don't want to look like a boy. I don't want to go back to school." Over and over and over. I didn't do anything to calm her, as I wanted to make sure this would NEVER happen again! Kinda mean, but I'm hoping it worked.

After I cleaned her hair up (luckily she has a mess of curls so the damage isn't that noticeable) she was complaining (read:still crying) that she doesn't like her short hair. (It's not that short...but short for her). I haven't checked on her yet this morning, but I'm sure she remembers.

Oh and I found out what scissors she used. I was perplexed because all the scissors are out of reach. All except little plastic ones that boast about not being able to cut hair...and I've tried them...just to make sure...and even those are locked up. Anyway...she got into my bathroom cabinet, opened up my manicure toolbox, and found my manicure scissors. Good thing they have small blades, or she might have "boy hair!"

No comments: