Thursday, September 27, 2007

Reflux

On Monday I called the pediatrician and persuaded them to see Grady today. Life here has been getting steadily worse with this child. Is it reflux, is it a cow's milk allergy, is the hyper lactation, is it colic, is it just the way things are going to be???? What is going on here!!! This child spits up more than anything I have ever seen. Luckily our first few days here I bought another 12 pack of thick burp cloths because I cannot keep up with the laundry he creates. I go through 2 burp clothes and 2 washcloths per feeding. In addition to my change of clothes and his...let's just say that my washer and drying are in constant use.

One blessing is that Bartlesville is a small town. I can get pretty much anywhere from my house in less than 10 minutes. That 10 minutes seems like eternity when you have a screaming kid in the car. Did I mention that he cries a lot? Well, if he's in his car seat, he's crying. The other day when I picked the girls up, I looked back and both of them had their hands over their ears begging me to make him stop. All I could do was laugh...and step on the gas pedal.

Anyway, the doc set us up with a prescription of Prevacid and we dropped it off at Walgreen's. (The pharmacy at the hospital was out of stock.) Well, when I went to pick it up...Walgreen's was out too. I frantically looked up every pharmacy in Bartlesville (which took about 2 seconds) to make sure they had the meds in stock and ended up at Wal-Mart (again). I was not going to wait another second to get anything that might help him feel better.

Here we are a few days later and wow...life is getting MUCH better. Grady actually fell asleep in his car seat at the grocery store yesterday. I was in shock. The last few car rides have actually been peacefully quite. And he sat in his swing for 1/2 hour while I entertained him folding laundry the other day. These are things that babies do on a regular basis, so normally I wouldn't be so excited about them. But now, I can actually put him down for a second or two during the day. Thank you Lord for creating scientist and physicians and medicine that has helped my baby boy!!!

No comments: